Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

I celebrated my 8 year Anniversary with my wife this weekend.  It's a lil early, but timing wise it worked out for us to go away this weekend as opposed to the actual day.  I love re-uniting this time of year with her.  We always come back to know each other more intimately and open up a dialogue that we can never seem to find at home.  We went on a ride to support Fallen Officers in observance of Fallen Officer's Memorial Week.  

We came home this morning which was Mother's Day.  I am so enamored by whom my wife has become in the short time we have been married.  I have always respected her and supported her professionally.  For the last few months she has been home on a knee injury.  Instead of letting it dibilitate her, she has taken on a lead role in the raising of our children and running our household.  An amazing change for what the first 5 years of marraige brought.  

As I reflected on how honored I am to have her in my life and the lives of my children, I see the great things God is doing ithrough us, in our children's lives. Our children know and respect God.  The have open, giving hearts for others in need or who have less than them.  They have a desire to serve those in need.  They both have an array of friends and open themselves to kids who seem to need a friend.  I am very blessed and humbled by their growth.

I called my mom to wish her a happy Mother's Day.  She was surprised I called so early in the morning because she knew I was out of town with my bride.  Plus I have probably neglected her recognition over the years and she has learned not to expect too much for me.  But it was short and direct as our communication normally is unless there is a specific topic that is open for discussion.

But as I take a moment to write a personnal note on the card I was about to put in the mail (two days late on a Sunday), I began to write to her and thank her for the developing the character I have today.  I had many positive influences in my childhood.  My older brother was a strong influence, my mother, and a Christian organization called the YMCA. 

Though as a child I didn't really see it as a Christian organization until later.  My mother would send me to YMCA summer camp every year.  In those seven days at camp every summer, in the San Bernardino National Forest, I would always come to know God and come back home promising to be a better boy and grow as a person.  As I YMCA camper, I became a Ragger.  A ragger took on certain Christian values and ethics with each rag he/she was given.  I hold a gold rag.  I remember the gold rag because it is a symbol of benevolence.  I am sure I still hold this rag partly because I never went back to YMCA camp after I turned 18 and partly because I am still working on the character trait itself.  In my core I strive to help others and to give to others before my self.  And largely I do just that.  But there is a small part of me that still has selfish motives and I act for myself at times than I'd like to acknowledge. 

As I grow in the word of the Lord, I realize that there is still much growth to be had.  Or maybe I will find a better understanding of His grace.  A concept I still find difficult to grasp.  I find it so hard to understand why He would forgive me after I constantly sin and fail over and over again.  But He does, as I was reminded in small group this week.       

So back to mom.  She shaped my character in so many ways I could never re-pay her enough.  She taught me to respect a person for who they were not by the color of their skin, or their religion or disability.  I grew to become a servant of the weak and innocent even at a young age.  She enculturated me to many arts and culture that many lower socio-economic kids arent exposed to.  I am eternally grateful to her for that. 

Here's what I learned at camp every year mom.  After all of these years, I still practice these core values.  Because you reinforced them throughout the year in my life between camp sessions by your actions and guidance.  Thank you mom.  I love you. Happy Mother's Day!!!



"I would be true, for there are those who trust me.
I would be pure, for there are those who care.
I would be strong for there is much to suffer.
I would be brave for there is much to dare.
I would be friend to all, the foe, the friendless
I would be giving and forget the gift.
I would be humble, for I know my weakness.
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift."

-YMCA Ragger's Creed

No comments:

Post a Comment