Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Andy Matthews Cancer Federation

It has been in the works on/off for about a year and a half...  I started drafting ByLaws a year and a half ago.  I finally spoke to all the people I thought would be best to serve on the board.  Each one brings different dynamic that represents Andy well.  Ron and I were his best friends before he died.  Each of us are completely different... Candace has known Andyman since the academy also and she brings a sound business sense and resources that I don't have.  Rafael one of his longest friends and former roommates will also be a part of it.  His mother Sharon of course to bring the array of wisdom that she provides.  I love her.  

My goal is to get this up and running by his five year anniversary in January of 2014.  Wish me luck.  OH what isit we are doing???  Great question!

Before Andy died he said he wished there was a way deputies/police officers could get additional money to get the care for cancer that HMO's or Worker's Comp would not pay for.  And so the idea began.  Let's start a non-profit in Andy's name that we could give back to those in need.  And maybe someone could beat this beast called cancer and not suffer the way Andy did...  Up until the day he died he never felt sorry for himself.  He was never angry or spiteful.  He never asked for help.  He maintained his independence and dignity til the end. 

So the ball is rolling...  I have tapped into others who have the same desire and passion to have Andy's legacy live on.  I am happy and blessed to have the support...

Let's see where we go

No comments:

Post a Comment