I received a call from the boss yesterday who told me I am getting promoted. It was welcomed news after a long wait due to the economy and so forth. Although I received a lot of well-wishes and support from those I love, I was taken aback for a moment how truely life changing this promotion is. You see, I didn't think much would change. I already act in the same position as an informal leader. The position to me would simply be a change in formality. But I received two notifications from two people within the organization whom I am acquaintences with. We are not close, but we are not estranged. If either of them asked me for something I would do whatever they needed without hesitation.
The first one sent me a message and told me how much I had hurt him in the past on a previous assignment we worked together, where I had made him feel less than accepted. Shame on me. We conversed back and forth I apologized with all the sincerity I could. You see, I had no idea this feeling of antimosity was ever there between us. I had no idea, I had evoked this type of response or humiliation on one of my partners. I felt about as small as a mouse. What kind of partner, colleague, friend, what kind of leader makes his fellow man feel this way? Not me. Or so I thought. Man, my apologies could not ever right the wrong I had done to him. Whether I was aware of the wrong or not. It still occurred in his view.
He went on to say that he respects me and loves and knows I will do well in my new position. He has forgiven me. But I know he will or maybe can never forget. Wow what a lesson in leadership, Day One. I realized that I had more impact on people than I truely recognized. My WORDS meant something to somebody. Maybe to more people than I was aware. Ughhh!!! Wow talk about wanting to take back everything I have ever said to anybody, anytime...And that's not really me. I tend to speak my mind openly and at times, carelessly.
This morning, I checked an email I had received yesterday from another collegue. This one praises me and my faith. He says to me "I just wanted to say THANK YOU for keeping it true in your faith. Everyday I read your post and the scripture you post on Facebook. Your posts helps me with the daily issues I deal with in myself, my family and with my friends."
WOW!!! Talk about being taken aback. You see, as I struggle in my own walk with Christ, I read the Bible a lot, listen to sermons/pastors on the radio, enjoy Christian music and read daily passages in the Bible on my phone. I sometimes post the passages that move me onto my FB page. This friend told me that as he struggles with his walk, our peers praise him for actions he knows in his heart are far from God. This job pulls us so far away from God and Jesus. I was moved that he felt comfortable enough to share his testimony with me.
The words that resonate so deep in my core is when he said "Congratulations on your promotion and thank you for your outspoken devotion to God because people like me are watching and listening."
I believe God speaks to us in many ways. He speaks to us often. He speaks to us daily. We are not always listening. From a secular view, both of these interactions mean so much to me. I realize that this formal position I am being given is a great responsibility. Way more than I first believed. Definately one I respect and appreciate more.
From a Godly view, I realize now more than ever that my words and actions are to be in Honor of God's Will. Because not only are people watching me, but they are listening too. God is watching. He is listening. He is correcting me and developing me to be the man HE wants me to be. What an awesome transformation!
Serving God is sometimes difficult in our roles on this earth. God seemed to make it crystal clear to me today through these two men. Man I work for an awesome God.
I am humbled by my positional leadership and hope to develop into a leader others will respect and follow. I am humbled by my family. My wife is an amazing woman. We have travelled so far together in the last 10 years. She is the most loyal person I know. I do not deserve her. I know that it is only through God's will that I have my life here on earth to share with her. So we will see. I pray for HIS guidance, compassion, courage, and strength as I move into this next chapter...
As far as the two gentlemen above, I don't think they will ever know or appreciate the difference they made in me today. I thank them from the bottomof my heart for their openess to communicate their words. I know the day will come when I can truly pay my thanks to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment