I was called to the ER today to quell a riotous/emotional family who was causing a disturbance at the hospital. Their 18 month old daughter was run over in the driveway of their home by the babies aunt. As I stood there with my partners, supervisors and friends, I knew that I probably shouldn't be there.
31 years ago, I lost my baby brother David the same way. My father, God rest his soul, was moving his tow truck into the driveway. My brother, who was 17 months old walked outside to be with my dad. My father did not see him and ran David over in the driveway. As he backed up, he crushed David's skull, I am sure killing him instantly.
This family is a lower socio-economic family who lives in the county area. The father and other relatives may have had a little criminal element on their side as well as is common in familes who struggle in our daily walk. I couldn't help but reflect that our lives are not that different. I am sure when my baby brother died, my family showed the same qualities. My father was a tow truck driver. My mom a social worker for the county. My dad may have had a criminal element to him as well. Not to mention some of the friends that would have come to the hospital in support.
I am not moved very often at work as I have seen and lived my share of tragedy. But tonights events kinda took me back. Not sure if it was the Coroner Investigator's description to the parents before they saw their baby for the last time that her head was "mis-shapened." Or the personnal connection I had in the same experience. Or the Father connection I had in the thought of losing one of my children. For that brief moment however slight as I felt my eyes well up with tears, I immediaely brought back my professional face of strength and support for the grieving family. It was not my time to grieve. It was theirs. I was thankful to have my frined Jim there. I am thankful for some reason I knew better than to look inside the room at the toddler. The Holy Spirit must have stirred inside of me. I just knew if I saw the baby, I may not respond appropriately.
The family was calm as they said their goodbyes. The Coroner's transport team carried her lifeless body wrapped in a white linen sheet out to their van. Death has been something I am very comfortable and familiar with since I was 3 years old. As I age, I believe I may be softening up. The loss of a child is hard on everyone involved. But I am home safe tonight after a long shift. I will go to bed but not before I kiss each of my children and thank God for each moment I have with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment